May Feast began back in the 1930's when they built the Orange Grove Rifle Club. It was a time of celebration for all when the farmers had completed the planing season and before they would start harvesting.
Through the years they would serve a BBQ meal, have a Parade, have a battle of the bands with a German and Country Bands alternating music, vendors outside and Mrs. Box even brought some of the school children in and they would perform a May Pole dance.
High School age girls ran to be crowned May Feast Queen and were crowned based on a penny vote. In the Last twenty years or so they added the Junior and Little Miss May Feast Queen and King categories also.
Sunday - May 1st, 2022
11:30 - 1:00 Brisket & Sausage Plates w/trimming & dessert; $9 per plate; Dine-In or Take-Out
1:30 - 2:30 May Feast Baking Contest Entries Due; Rules to be found below
3:00 Pumper Races - Put on by the Orange Grove Volunteer Fire Department
5:00 Dance to the Music of Buddy Galloway & Crisp
6:00 Baking Contest Winners Announced
7:30 Crowing of the new May Feast Royalty
Vendor Booths are allowed to be set up outside the Orange Grove Rifle Club. No electricity will be provided. Spots are not assigned and are first come. There is no charge for Vendor Booths.
Be apart of a long-time tradition of Orange Grove. It is time to celebrate May Feast and support the Orange Grove Rifle Club.
QUEEN'S CONTESTANTS WANTED!
Little Miss May Feast
- Preschool to 4th Grade: Ages 4 to 9
Junior Miss May Feast
- 5th to 8th Grade: Ages 10 - 14
May Feast Queen
- 9th Grade and Older: Ages 15 - 21
Please contact Amy Gallagher at (361)877-3008 or via Facebook messenger for more information if you are interested in running as a May Feast Queen Candidate.
To Enter the Contest
Please bring your unmarked entries (limit one entry per category per person) & $5.00 entry fee per baked item into the Orange Grove Rifle Club on May 1st, 2022 between 1:30 P.M. and 2:30 P.M. No entries will be accepted after 2:30 P.M. on May 1st, 2022.
Categories of baked items are: Cakes or Pies
About your Entry & Presentation
- Age Divisions: Pre-Bakers: Ages 0 - 12
Junior Bakers: Ages 13 - 18
Adult Bakers: Ages 19 - 60
Senior Bakers: Ages 61 - 100
- Both experienced and inexperienced bakers are eligible to enter, but all baked items must be made in a home kitchen. Your entry must be made from scratch - no store-bought entries please.
- Baked items will be whole when entered. Do not cut your entry for tasting.
- Entries will NOT be returned. All entries will become property of the Orange Grove Rifle Club.
- All entry containers must be disposable. Containers will not be returned.
- All entries will NOT have bakers name anywhere on the packaging.
- Recipe cards appreciated & should be attached to bottom of entry. Make sure your name is not on the recipe card.
- Your entry will be judged on taste, texture & appearance.
Award winners in each of the above age divisions will be announced at approximately 6:00 P.M. at the May Feast dance held at the Orange Grove Rifle Club on Sunday, May 1st, 2022.
2022 King & Queen:
Hunter Gonzalez & Mamie Gonzalez